Wednesday, September 28

My daughter's a dummy

I spent the whole entire day flipping Megan from her tummy to her back.  She's a back to front expert.  She's back on her tummy as soon as I let go.  And then she screams.  It's like a compulsion.  I wanted to shout, "Hey dummy! Quit doing that."  But I didn't.  Because she's a baby.



I got home from Zumba last night with a rather large list of things I wanted to do.  Some how I found myself going from facebook to some blog I hardly understood and eventually wound up on an article about why barefoot is best.  (Which I already knew.)

Why do we do things that don't make us happy?!

I have a little bit of a crush on James Altucher these days.  It's okay, I think Li does too.  I recently read a post that mentioned we should wish people well.  Not really a novel concept I guess, but it smacked me on the face.  I don't do that.  More often I see people and I think I'm better than they are for some ridiculous reason, or I hate them because I can't come up with a ridiculous reason why I'm better than they are.

But I've been extra conscious of what makes me happy and what doesn't.   A few nights ago I went to bed early and then got up early enough to ride my bike to zumba.  I got there and found myself thinking things like... She has the best smile.  Her butt looks great in those pants.  Her personality seems so fun! (Are you recognizing yourself here fellow Zumbis?)  She is so adorable pregnant.  (Yeah, that's you Melis.)

I did it.  And I think it was because I was happy myself and so I wasn't threatened by the happiness of others.

I'm being proactive about happiness.  I'm having a book party.  Here's a link to the info on facebook.  I probably sent you an invite.  But for those of you who avoid facebook here's the details....

I'm reading this.


On Thursday October 20th at 7 I'm having a party to talk about it.
Please come.

If you can't come, you can still read it and talk to me about it.  I'd love that.

And while writing this post I checked facebook again.
And another blog.
Dummy!

2 comments:

Lisa Johnson said...

I love that you say that barefoot is best, but just the other night you mentioned that you would love to design shoes.

I honestly find myself doing the same thing you mentioned. Thinking I am better than some people or hate people that I believe are better than me, people who I have no idea what their lives are like, and who's shoes I would most likely not want to walk around in. I saw a quote online the other day that seems to go with this a little. If we all threw our problems into a big pile we would grab ours back up when we saw what others had thrown down. It's a lesson in perspective for me I think. I like to believe that I am not judgemental, when I really am. Just because I may not judge the people I know, because I know their issues, doesn't mean I don't judge people I don't know. I need to shape my perspective better so that I can be a happier person and let other people be happy too. I need to see the good in everyone, not just the people I know, and I need to tell those people about the good I see. You never know the power of kind words.

Lindsey said...

lol! you made me laugh. I loved this,"More often I see people and I think I'm better than they are for some ridiculous reason, or I hate them because I can't come up with a ridiculous reason why I'm better than they are." I love how honest you are! I think we all must do that to some degree. I'm inspired now and will think better thoughts!