Wednesday, September 14

Zucchini babies


 I'm not eating treats this week and while I know that zucchini "bread" is really more like zucchini cake, I ate it anyway.  
I make the rules around here anyway.

I used this recipe, which I'm pretty sure I've shared before, but it's basically my favorite thing.
In my defense I didn't frost it and I used applesauce for most of the oil, some wheat flour and less sugar.  So I'm totally justified right?  Whatever.

But let's get down to the nitty-gritty.  My neighbor gave me these.

As you can see, they are huge.  
I do love zucchini cakebread, but I can only eat so much.

Suggestions?  Recipes?  Pancakes?

She didn't give me the fiesta cheese soup, I put that there for perspective, but one thousand bonus points if you've got a recipe that uses both.
 (Actually that sounds super gross, but who knows?)

And here's another shot for perspective....

They are as big as a small child.



But my small children are much, much cuter.


Megan got a new toy.  Carter loves it.

9 comments:

Lisa Johnson said...

Ok so I tried this recipe: http://www.kalynskitchen.com/2009/09/recipe-for-meat-tomato-and-mozzarella.html and it was yummy. A few things I would do differently: a)After you have cut your 2 - 3 in "cups" cut as close to the sides as you can when you hollow them out. I thought I did, but they were still not cooked enough when I took them out of the oven b)Leave a substantial 1/2 - 3/4 inch bottom layer of zucchini. I only left about 1/4 inch and all of the juice from my filling leaked out. Here is a similar recipe that I am going to try next time I have some substantially sized zucchini: http://www.kayotic.nl/blog/stuffed-zucchini This one actually incorporates the zucchini that you scrape out back into the mixture you stuff it with. Hope these help!

Lisa Johnson said...

By the way, your small children are much, much cuter!

jen said...

I read this and I thought - genius. And then I saw the pictures? I'm drooling!

Anonymous said...

Jennifer. This is Brett. I made these bran and applesauce muffins today that are sooo good. And I put peach slices in the middle and lots of blueberries. So I think they're pretty healthy. This was the recipe: http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,184,158179-253195,00.html
Carter looks a lot older in that picture.

Anonymous said...

And that has nothing to do with your post. I just realized you were actually asking a question about zucchinis and cheese. But these muffins taste better than zucchini bread and they're healthier. I think. So that's why I wrote it. Plus I just made them and they're so good. Blah blah blah

Anonymous said...

Hi Jen. Move to Logan and entertain us. Love Dan, Tina and Tanner

Li said...

Brett, it pretty much made my day to see you not only reading my blog, but posting recipes on it!

jen said...

ha ha, that was Jen not Li.

jen said...

Adams Family, can't I just entertain you from here?