Friday, October 7

baby food soup

And my final soup is....baby food!

I had such high hopes for this recipe I found in Parents Magazine.  I'm posting it with the hopes that some one out there can make some adjustment that can save it.

In a big pot heat 1 tablespoon olive oil on medium.
Add 1/2 cup chopped carrot
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/3 cup chopped onion
Stir occasionally
Cook 8-10 minutes until tender and starting to brown.

(I tasted a carrot at this point and it was delectable.)

Add 3 1/2 cups chopped butternut squash
2 medium apples, chopped
4 cups chicken broth

Bring to a boil
Reduce heat
Simmer uncovered 20 minutes until squash is tender
Cool slightly

Puree in blender or food processor.

Add black pepper and croutons

Easy and disgusting.  Li wouldn't even eat the leftovers and that's saying something.
I thought the croutons were mainly for garnish but if you omit them, you've got yourself a BIG pot of baby food.  I was this close to feeding it to Megan.

My mom suggested leaving out the apples.  Anyone else have an idea?



5 comments:

Melissa said...

yes, I'd agree with ditching the apples. and maybe add more seasoning? this is such a fun idea--I can't wait to try the mac 'n cheese!

Peggy Clyde said...

I'm glad you came to story time, too, so I could visit your blog. I loved reading it. You are a great, funny writer. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Somebody cute once told me Campbell's soups are pretty good...

Dan

jen said...

Dan, I'm reading Micheal Pollan these days. I can't post a recipe for Campbell's soup.

Except I did just post one that uses it. Oops.

Daniel said...

Jen, we were just looking at your profile where you describe yourself as a "trophy wife." We were wondering if that means the same thing to you as it does to us?