Tuesday, June 15

Someone who knows something: Laurel on Parenting

Today's "someone" is Laurel.  Not only is she the mother of a 2 ½ year old and 6 month old twins, but she also recently graduated from law school.  She is SMART, NICE and oh so down to earth.  I'm sure everyone can learn from her helpful tips, even if you don't have kids...


As a mother of three children under age three I have a new appreciation for mediocrity. I’m not exactly a type A personality, but I do like to feel like I’m somewhat in control and that things are in a certain order. I’m learning that my standards need to be a little lower for awhile, but that’s okay. I’ve also learned a few tricks that have helped even a perfectionist like me enjoy this time in my life. They’re included below in bullet point format because that’s how I roll.

•    Accept help. If you’re like me you’re used to being the person to give help and having to be the receiver is new and uncomfortable. It’s okay. Just think about the times when you’ve served others and how much you’ve enjoyed it and take advantage of any offer that comes your way. It won’t be like this forever and you will have opportunities to serve again. Ask for the help that you need and just think of all of the blessings in store for those around you!
•    Make lists. You’ll forget stuff, I promise, but it’s easier to feel prepared if you write stuff down as you think of it. I hate remembering something I really, really need when I’m on my way home from the store so I make lists for everything from groceries to gift ideas for family members to books I would like to read. I hereby give you permission to add things to the list that you’ve already done so that you can check them off right away.
•    Plan Ahead. I can’t think of anything more stressful right now than trying to take my 2 ½ year old and 6 month old twins to a store when I have a deadline. Just thinking about it makes me want to cry. So every few days I try to think about what we’ll need and write it down on yes, you’ve guessed it, a list. I don’t know how everyone else nests when they’re nearing the end of pregnancy, but nesting for me included starting my Christmas shopping in July and purchasing a lot of canned goods and toilet paper. Now that the babies are here and I’m trying to fit one car seat in the front of the shopping cart, one in the back, and a toddler playing hide and seek in the produce department it’s nice to just have to buy milk and fresh fruit. Planning ahead is not just limited to shopping either. I try to have a diaper bag ready to go and always have extra diapers and a change of clothes in the car.
•    Prioritize. There will not be enough time for everything you need to do so decide what is most important right now and do it first. One thing that’s really important to me is writing down what my 2 ½ year old says because I can almost guarantee that I won’t remember what she says at this time in her life.
•    Recharge yourself. It’s hard to be useful to your family if you’re emotionally empty. Take a little time to do what makes you happy. Remember, if momma ain’t happy ain’t nobody happy.

Good luck and remember that this time won’t last forever, make the most of the good and do your best to survive the bad!

And a couple of practical tips:
•    Find a grocery store that isn’t as busy or go early in the morning or late at night. I would prefer spending 5 more minutes in a car than 10 more minutes waiting in line with my kids. My husband and I also split up kids when we run errands – this way they each get a little alone time with mom or dad and we aren’t overwhelmed by running errands with all our children.
•    Drive around until you can park near a shopping cart.
•    Put diapers that are a size too big on your children at night, they hold a little more and should help them sleep longer.
•    If you’re out and about dressing rooms are a great place to breastfeed babies. They’re private, clean, and they don’t smell like bathrooms. If you’re formula feeding those plastic containers that hold premeasured formula are great, and don’t forget to take an extra water bottle.
•    Always take a few more diapers and wipes than you think you’ll need.
•    Don’t forget snacks, for you and the kids.
•    Do anything that makes tasks more manageable. For me this means running smaller loads in the washing machine and dishwasher. I know this is not very energy efficient but I promise I make up for it in other ways and it will not be like this forever. Consider buying groceries from places that deliver (in Utah we have Winder Dairy) or that will gather everything and have it ready for you when you get to the store (I believe Costco and Sam’s Club will do this and Albertson’s used to).
•    Buy diapers and wipes in bulk.
•    Do as much shopping as possible online.

4 comments:

Melissa said...

tell Laurel thanks for her post. great stuff in there. I'd like to add one thing about lists: don't put things on lists that always have to be done because it feels like it never gets checked off the list and that's depressing. stuff like "laundry" and "dishes." unless of course you want to add it just to check it off immediately. :)

(you're a genius, Jennifer.)

jen said...

Laurel- I laughed at the part about snacks for the kids and for you, because I usually think to grab myself a snack and then think, "Oh I should get something for the baby too!"

Melissa- good addition! If I put laundry on my list I usually let myself check it off after doing ANY part of it. (Like bringing it all up to the laundry room counts!)

Amber said...

Thanks Laurel for a great post. You sound like my type of lady!!
Jen- I really like your blog. You're very good at it. :)

jen said...

Thanks Amber!